Fishing on Lake Kabetogama & Voyageurs National Park
Come fish & explore one of Minnesota’s best walleye lakes — Kabetogama Lake is the largest lake in Voyageurs National Park with all American water. Here at Northern Lights Resort on Lake Kabetogama your best fishing memories can be made year after year. Our private bay and protected harbor are ideal for docking your boat. Our northern Minnesota resort is centrally located on Lake Kabetogama to launch your fishing adventure and visit Voyageurs National Park area attractions.
Always great fishing on Kabetogama Lake for
- Northern Pike
- Small Mouth Bass
- Jumbo Perch & Crappie
Bring your own boat or ask us about renting one. Check out our fully equipped boat rentals to help safely navigate the extensive chain of lakes. Click Here for Boat Rentals Info
Explore over 65 miles of wilderness waterways and fish Voyageurs National Park chain of lakes.
“This particular area is about as close as what you will find to a fly in Canadian Shield fishing trip,” states Jason Mitchell Fishing Pro & TV Show Host, “but you can drive here and enjoy comfortable accommodations. The scenery is gorgeous and even the color and body condition of the fish we caught was incredible.” Jason enjoyed staying at our resort and says, “Thanks for the great hospitality. I would love to bring my entire family back here. It’s a great location for the kids with the sandy beach and floating water park. My wife will enjoy these cozy cabins with the fireplace and fully equipped kitchen. And I love the great walleye fishing on Kabetogama too!” The Kabetogama Peninsula has an abundance of interior lakes to hike into and fish. Reserve a boat ahead of time from the Kabetogama Voyageurs National Park Visitor Center, pack a lunch and have your private lake for the day!
You don’t have to go far for great fishing. In fact, fish right off the dock!
The best dock fishing is in spring and fall, but our guests enjoy fishing off the dock all summer long too. We have several nice benches to kick-back and enjoy the sunset while luring in one more catch for the day. We have an extensive dock system located at our main Lodge and a boat slip comes free of charge with your cabin rental. Several of our cabins also have a “private dock” to enjoy the lake right out your cabin’s door. While staying at our Minnesota Family Vacation & Fishing Resort you capture great fish & great memories too!
Lake Kabetogama Fishing Services Provided at Northern Lights Resort
- Premium gas, bait and ice offered for sale dock side
- Rental boats – ALL fully equipped for fishing with live wells, trolling motors & GPS/Fish finders
- Fishing Hot Spot Maps & Navigational information for safe boating
- Free tips on fishing spots and techniques
- Dock attendant on duty
- Take advantage of our fillet house to clean your fish. Our guests say we have the cleanest “fish cleaning room” they’ve ever seen!
- FREE FISH CLEANING! Yah, you betcha. We filet, wrap and deliver the fish to our guests! We remove all the bones, even those tough “Y” bones on Northern Pike.
- Local expert Guide Services are available with prior reservation. All guides are Coast Guard & CPR certified, and insured. Plan Ahead!
Share your photos of the “big catch” and be entered into our local fishing contest to win bragging rights & great gear. Checkout this link for some great fishing photos from over the years!
What do I need to know to fish in Voyageurs National Park?
To fish in Voyageurs National Park, you only need a MN Fishing license. All Voyageurs National Park Lakes, including Kabetogama, are governed by the MN DNR. There are no fishing regulations specific to the National Park. To help aid healthy populations of fish, specific criteria for keeping the fish you catch have been established by the MN DNR.
Minnesota Fishing License Information
Family Friendly Fishing – here in Minnesota youth under the age of 16 fish for free under their parent’s license! Purchase your MN Fishing license online in advance or stop at one of the local Kabetogama establishments that sell them (within 3 miles from our resort). We recommend The Gateway General. There is a separate license for residents of Minnesota and “out of state” licenses. Be sure to scroll to the right section online. If you are a nonresident, you may want to consider other options:
- A 7 day license for a week of vacation fishing. If you are visiting only once you can save enough for a tank of gas!
- Spouse and Family License options and discounts for “out of state” guests too.
Lake Kabetogama Fishing Regulations
There is catching and then there is keeping. Here’s what you need to know before your “Fish Fry”!
- Sauger/Walleye: Possession limit of 6 combined (only 4 may be walleye).
- Walleye: All fish from 17-28″ must be immediately released. One trophy fish over 28″ is allowed in possession.
- Northern Pike: limit of 3 (not more than 1 trophy fish over 30″ in possession.
About the Fish in Lake Kabetogama
There are over 35 fish species in our lake, for information about our all our different fish – Click here for our DNR Lake overview of Kabetogama
Fishing tips & Video of fishing on Lake Kabetogama
The fishing report is updated each week! Come back frequently to learn the latest fishing patterns, water depths and tips on bait.