Northern Lights Resort is a Green Business
We are conscious of and deal responsibly with our environment. You may have noticed that we are an award winning resort in Minnesota for our great strides towards sustainability and good care of the earth. But there is no resting on our laurels and we are continually integrating new ideas into our business practices and home. Each year we raise the bar for ourselves to continually improve on our green business mission,
Our vision is to live and work in an ecologically sound, economically viable, and socially just environment all in a beautiful and relaxing setting in the north woods of Minnesota. Our mission is simple: to take consistent steps in our own home and business to achieve that vision!
What is the true measure of our success? We have happy guests and have left the earth a better place for future generations.
Northern Lights Resort Recognized by the State of MN Tourism in 2008
Minnesota State Tourism awarded Northern Lights Resort the Sustainability Business of the year.…for superior sustainability practices. As the very first business in the State of Minnesota to earn this recognition, we couldn’t be more pleased of our long standing tradition of “going green”!
Today, we are proud members of Green America, a reputable organization whose mission is to harness the strength of consumers, investors and businesses to create a socially just and environmentally sustainable society. As a Green America “Green Business” we adopt green practices to improve quality of life.
Here is a sample of the measures we take to operate as a green business and take good care of our staff, guests and beautiful environment around us.
The top sustainability resort feature that sets us apart from other lodging businesses is our sewer pre-treatment system:
- Let’s face it, safely handling of sewage is a very critical part of our operation, since we are so near to the water’s edge and we take handling our guests “pooh” very seriously!
- Our bio-engineered wetland filled with cattails pre-treats our sewer much like swamps functions to filter run off water before it enters a stream.
- Northern Lights has a sophisticated pre-treatment sewer system that is collected from around the resort, pumped to pre-treatment wetlands and eventually to alternating drain fields 800′ to 1,300′ back from the lake.
- This project was a collaboration with the University of Minnesota and local government and one of the first of it’s kind in Minnesota over 20 years ago.
- The water at the back side of the cattail field runs clear with no smell as it continues into the traditional septic mound.. Now that’s putting mother nature to work for you!
Below find other measures we integrate around the resort to ensure a safe and more sustainable business: